Siglufjörður is a small fishing town in a narrow fjord with the same name on the northern coast of Iceland. Population in January 2011 was 1,206 but the town has been shrinking in size since the 1950s when the town reached its peak with 3,000 inhabitants. The municipality of Ólafsfjörður and Siglufjörður merged to form a municipality called Fjallabyggð, which literally means Mountain Settlement. The town grew up around the herring industry that was in much bloom in the 1940s and 1950s, but the herring are gone now.
Siglufjörður was connected with a road for the first time in 1940, when the horse riding trail through Siglufjarðarskarð was improved enabling cars to get through. Before, ships, seaplanes, horses and strong legs provided the transport.